School-wide Positive Behavior Support (SwPBS)
SwPBS is a broad range of systemic and individualized strategies for achieving
important social and learning outcomes while preventing problem behavior
OSEP Center on PBIS
School-wide Positive Behavior Support Showcase
May 15, 2014 – 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Safe Schools Institute – Boca Raton, FL
Essential Components of SwPBS:
- Administrator support, participation, and leadership
- Common purpose and approach to discipline
- Define positive expectations (for all students & staff)
- Procedures for teaching expected behaviors
- Continuum of procedures for encouraging expectations
- Continuum of procedures for discouraging inappropriate behavior
- Procedures for ongoing monitoring and evaluating effectiveness of the SwPBS system
Principles That Guide SwPBS
- Focus of discipline is on academic & behavior success
- Is for all students, all staff, and all settings
- Emphasizes prevention
- Uses research-validated practices
- Is coordinated by an SwPBS team
- Emphasizes an instructional approach
- Uses data to guide decisions
THE KEY: Behavior is functionally related to the teaching environment.
For more information about School-wide Positive Behavior Support (SwPBS) in the School District of Palm Beach County, click on the links below.
School-wide Positive Behavior Support General Information
School-wide Positive Behavior Support in SDPBC Schoolshttp://trainu.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/course/view.php?id=1535
June Z. Eassa, Ed.S.